Part of the VARD group since 2003, Vard Braila lies on the lower reaches of the River Danube near the town of Braila in Romania.
They yard specializes in hull manufacturing and early outfitting of vessels, but on the back of a rich shipbuilding history covering 80 years, also has the expertise to deliver fully outfitted vessels when required. Among recent turnkey vessels of different types and sizes it has delivered are a series of five fully outfitted icebreaking tugs for deployment in the Caspian Sea, and a series of nine specialized vessels for offshore operations.
Vard Braila is currently undergoing extensive modernization that aims to boost production capacity and accommodate bigger and more diverse vessels. This process is set to continue into 2021 and features:
- Purchase and installation of four new 100-ton capacity cranes.
- Modernization of launching capacity (mounting platform, launching system and launching platform) that will double capacity from 3,000 tons to 6,000 tons.
- Construction of mobile halls comprising five modules that can be assembled in different configurations according to requirements.
In a recent business diversification, in 2020 Vard Braila began production on 86 modules for a new suspension bridge to be built over the Danube near Braila. This has required a series of new investments (unrelated to shipbuilding) and a reorganization of the yard’s production flow.
- ISO 9001:2015
- ISO 14001:2004
- OHSAS 18001
- Number of employees: 1680
- Established: 1940
- Total yard area: 499 704 m²
- Total: 41 577 m²
- Hull factory: 27,617 m²
- Other halls for units building: 13 960 m²
- 46,489 m²
- 15 235 m²
- 11,022 m²
- Outside quay & inner basin: 79,472 m²
- Outside quay - length 1300 m
- Total: 16,448 m²
- Steel outfitting workshop
- Piping workshop
- Carpentry shop
- Mechanical workshop
Other areas used by internal subcontractors
- 2,593 m²
- 30 160 m²
- Max. launching weight - 6000 t; max. length - 130 m; max. breadth - 32 m