VARD ZeroClass – Accelerate to Zero
One year ago at Nor-Shipping 2022 VARD launched ZeroClass. The first ready to order zero emission vessel series. The response has been beyond expectations. Many ZeroClass vessels are in concept development together with ambitious customers. Join us at Nor-Shipping 2023 to explore how we can accelerate your journey to a zero emission future.
03. May 2023
The time to act is now, but in an uncertain world it is hard to see a viable alternative to Marine Diesel Oil. Get inspiration from our latest projects to see how VARD can enable your sustainable business at sea. We are ready to collaborate with you on your journey
- Design and planning of many commercial zero class prospects together with customers.
- Cooperation with DNV on QRA (Quantitative Risk Assessment) for a compressed hydrogen ship – extended our insights and experience regarding approval and safety management of hydrogen installations.
- Awarded funding and started 6 major research projects to support zero class developments.
- Achieved Approval in Principle (AIP) from DNV and LR for alternative fuels.
- Invested in software and competence in advanced hull optimization.
- Signed several contracts with Fuel ready notation included (Edda Wind, North Star, Purus Wind)
VARD and partners awarded 105 million NOK for green research and innovation
The project Ocean Charger, owned by Vard Design receives 38,3 million NOK and Sea Zero, project owner Hurtigruten, receives over 67 million NOK from the Norwegian Government.
Hurtigruten Norway ready for next stage in innovative zero-emission ship project
After announcing plans to build their first zero emission ship by 2030, Hurtigruten Norway has now secured leading tech partnerships and applied for funds to embark on a research project to develop their groundbreaking zero-emission ships.
Leading the way in the green maritime transition
The Ocean Charger project is officially launched and the kickoff happened on February 15 2023 with a gathering of all involved partners in Ålesund, Norway. Now, with a strong consortium of industry and research partners, VARD will lead the way from research to testing, validation, and commercialization of new technological solutions for energy transfer to battery-powered ships offshore.
The shift to a sustainable future at sea is made possible through innovation and out of the box thinking. Together with customers and partners we explore exciting new concepts and possibilities, like the pioneering Ocean Charger concept. Join us at Nor Shipping to explore the latest developments in smart vessel design and solutions.
- Nominated to Ocean Innovation Award.
- Accelerated digital operational and system efficiency solutions based on in-dept data analysis.
- Partnerships with energy- and green fuel companies to prepare transition to clean fuel for vessels.
Ocean Charger nominated for Ocean Solution Award
We are proud to inform that the Ocean Charger concept is one of five nominees for the Ocean Solution Award that has the potential of revolutionize the industry. The winner will be announced during Nor-Shipping this June.
Transforming fleet operations with advanced remote technology ready for autonomous shipping
SeaQ Remote enables centralized remote control of vessel functions for lean manning, enhanced safety and 24/7 support with an expert in the loop.
Innovation Award to Seaonics
SEAONICS win Innovation of the Year Award at the 2023 Offshore Support Journal Conference in London
Retrofit and conversion
Improving the sustainable performance of existing vessels is fastest way to accelerate to zero. VARD provides a complete range of retrofit and conversion solutions from battery on board and performance enhancing digital solutions to complete re-purposing of offshore vessels for the offshore wind market.
- Norwind Breeze was originally built as a Plattform Support Vessel (PSV) and was converted into an Service Operation Vessel (SOV) for Norwind Offshore.
- Longliner Veidar is back at sea after an extensive rebuild.
- Hybridization references: Siem Stingray, Stril Orion, Stril Polar, Norsea Fighter and Normand Sygna to mention some.
Norwind Breeze goes straight into operation
VARD has delivered Norwind Breeze to Norwind Offshore in Ålesund. Norwind Breeze is a Service Operation Vessel (SoV) for offshore wind. The vessel was originally built as a platform supply vessel developed for the oil and gas market and has now been converted to a service operation vessel that will operate in the field of renewable energy for offshore wind farms.
Veidar delivered and is back at sea after major rebuild
Longliner Veidar is back at sea after an extensive rebuild at Vard Søviknes following the fire that took place on board last winter. Next stop is the Barents Sea, fishing haddock and cod, something shipowner Sindre Johan Dyb looks forward to. – Finally, Veidar is back where it belongs.
REM signs contract with Vard Electro for a vessel retrofit project
Vard Electro has secured an order with REM to deliver a complete SeaQ Energy Storage System package for a vessel retrofit as the shipowner is proactively upgrading its fleet with hybrid power in pursuit of greener and safer operations with lower fuel costs.
Countdown to zero emission is on!
Maritime sector needs to reduce its emissions by at least 95% by 2050.
Designed for zero
People globally look to Norway for innovation in shipping, and at VARD we push the boundaries.
Optimized for zero
Designing for zero is a race for energy conservation and operational performance.